We promote an understanding of Christian practice and teaching that leads to a greater concern for the way people treat each other than for the way people express their beliefs, the acceptance of all people, and a respect for other religious traditions.
We affirm the variety and depth of human experience and the richness of each person's search for meaning, and we encourage the use of sound scholarship, critical inquiry, and all intellectual powers to understand the experience and presence of God in human life.
We are opposed to any exclusive dogma that limits the search for truth and free inquiry, and we encourage work that eases the pain, suffering and degradation inherent in many of the structures of society, as well as work that keeps central to the Christian life fair, open, peaceful, and loving treatment of all human beings.
This is an excerpt from our children's curriculum from the lesson on Jesus.
Here is what we practice today as progressive Christians who follow the path of Jesus:
• We believe that seeing all as ONE is how we can experience the realm of God.
• We believe that joy is not dependent on material success or outward circumstance.
• We trust the Spirit that flows through us and all people.
• We create moments of stillness in which we quiet the chatter of the mind.
• We accept responsibility for our actions and for changing our ways if we cause harm.
• We forgive those who have harmed us and let go of our anger.
• We do not judge others.
• We have compassion for all beings.
• We are generous of our heart and our possessions.
• We try not to worry about what we don’t have, about the future, or about the past.
• We help those that are in danger or are suffering however we can.
• We celebrate and laugh, and we live in joy and wonder.